With its yummy-looking expanding shape and its sound of billowing smoke, this food makes us subconsciously wanted to eat it. This is Korean Steamed Egg! Today we will learn how to cook a Korean Steamed Egg. Let’s try it!
Time estimation: 20-30 minutes
Serves : 2-3 people
Amount of calories : 156 kcal
108 ml of water
3 leafs of seaweed, 5×5 cm long
Leek 5 cm (optional)
1/2 tsp of peeled shrimp
1 tsp of Korean cooking wine
1/3 tsp of salt
A pinch of chili powder (optional)
A pinch of sesame powder (optional)
Hotpot with 12 cm diameters and 5-7 cm depth
Stainless to mix in a bowl
Heat resistant bowl
1. Put 180ml of water into the hotpot. Add seaweeds and let it rest for 20 menit. Slice the leeks thinly.
(!) The taste is stronger with seaweed water, but you can also use regular water.
2. Put eggs and salt into a bowl, and a bubble will appear. Stir in a zig zag for 30 seconds until the color turns into pale yellow.
(!) The eggs must be stirred sufficiently so air could enter and create a soft egg.
3. Put peeled shrimps and broth into the hotpot. Pull out the seaweeds while turning on the fire.
4. On another bowl, put the eggs in and stir it slowly with a wooden spoon. Mix for 2-2,5 minutes until its cooked. For the first 1,5 minutes, the mixture will seem to be melting, but then it will get dense and more dense. (Tips: Pay more attention to the state/shape of the eggs rather than time)
5. Reduce the heat and close the hotpot with a bowl (see picture) for 1,5 minutes. Try to close any gap between the bowl and the hotpot so the eggs could expand well. (Though a little gap when stirring the eggs is alright).
6. Turn off the heat and let it rest for 2 minutes. Open the lid and put in chili powder, sesame powder, and leeks. Stir it with the heat that is left on the hotpot so the bottom part of the steamed eggs will not get burnt and becomes soft.
Tips: Due to the heat, remember to be careful when removing the lid. It is better to open it with a spoon first (see picture below).
The Korean Steamed Eggs is now ready!
Source: Food Magazine <Super Recipe>